WHO WE ARE
We have grown to be The World’s Leading River Cruise Line, with double-digit growth in recent years. With the launch of its ocean fleet in 2015, the company has also become the leader in small ship ocean cruising. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, we provide destination-focused itineraries designed for experienced travelers who have an interest in geography, culture and history. Each journey includes a shore excursion in every port, and an exclusive Culture Curriculum program that provides deep immersion in the destination through performances of music and art, cooking demonstrations, informative port talks and carefully selected guest lecturers.
We currently operates a fleet of more than 80 vessels, state-of-the-art ships that have received numerous accolades since their launch from industry experts and travelers alike. We were voted the #1 River Cruise Line by Condé Nast Traveler in their 2018 Readers’ Choice Awards, and for the third year in a row, has been named the #1 Ocean Cruise Line* by Travel + Leisure readers in the World’s Best Awards 2018.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
Expedition is a new leg of ourCruises to deliver expedition cruises in destinations previously not operated by our Cruises. Expeditions is going to offer a plethora of different activities off-ship. The Mountain Guides will be crucial in guiding hikes, walks, snowshoe and classic ski excursions, providing unique experiences to our guests, and ensuring the highest levels of safety.
- Strong leader, team player and an inspiration to others
- Ability to structure complex tasks
- Fantastic communication skills
- Knowledgeable about expedition operations
- Works well under pressure
- Smart, presentable, friendly and excellent people skills
- Good computer & Microsoft Office experience (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc)
- English speaking and writing to a high standard
- When engaged in off-ship activities, lead interpretative walks, hikes, zodiac cruises, snowshoe and ski excursions as per instructed by the Assistant Expedition Leader
- Provide guidance and training to the team whenever deemed necessary
- Socialize and be visible in guest areas as often as possible
- When assigned, write a short blurb reflecting the day’s experiences
- Assist with embarkation and disembarkation duties as necessary
- Assist in any other general duties assigned by the Expedition Admin Team
Mindset and Values
- Be well groomed and of professional personality and focused on delivering 100% satisfaction
Communication & Coordination
- Report to the Assistant Expedition Leader
- Be a role model to others and lead by example
- Work with the Expedition Admin Team providing training and mentorship to all staff
- Ensure a positive working environment
- Previous experience in similar role or demonstrated experience in the Expedition Cruise Industry
- Good administration & organization
- Proactive problem solving
- Teamwork and good communication
- Well organized, efficient and positive
- Understand guest needs
- Time management
- Reliable and pressure resistant
- Proactive in upholding Viking standards of excellence
- Enthusiastic team member
- High risk assessment skills
- Proficient in guiding snowshoe and ski expeditions
- Marine Radio Operator’s license or equivalent
- Small boat license, RYA powerboat level 2 or equivalent/higher
- Competent in crevasse rescue
- NOLS Wilderness First Responder or equivalent/higher
- AMGA /ACMG / IFMGA /or equivalent certification is advantageous
Guidelines and Regulations
- Implement Standard Operating Procedures & STAR Service Standards within the department.
- Ensure appropriate appearance and clothing according to the updated Grooming Standards.
- For work in Polar Regions: have passed the appropriate and most recent field staff online assessment of IAATO/AECO.
- The company reserves the right to change/extend this job description if necessary, at any point of time during her/his employment.
Click the Apply Online Link below
*please mention you found this job on Work the Wilds