We are seeking a passionate and experienced educator that is fluent in English and Spanish to deliver nature-based education programs via remote live stream.
Please Note: This is a part-time job.??
With a different focus than traditional environmental education, all of our programs are built around our philosophy of "Building Community by Exploring Nature." Founded in response to the tragic Columbine school shooting, we use ecology and the outdoor experience as a framework for human relations programming. The intent of our programs is that participants learn a lesson of nature that they can apply in a social context in their everyday lives: in school, at home and in their neighborhood. Or, as we like to say, "We’re not saving nature. Nature is saving us.”
Program Description ?
Provides real-time, interactive, virtual field trips for schools and organizations in the greater Los Angeles area using IRL (In Real Life) video technology.
- Griffith Park
- The Los Angeles River
- Franklin Canyon Park
- Malibu Tidepools
The flexible schedule makes this position attractive for someone with a passion for the work and occasional time on their hands: graduate students, substitute teachers, camp leaders or park guides.
Applicants MUST: ??
- Be comfortable on camera, with a charismatic and engaging presentation style.
- Be comfortable conducting programs in English or Spanish.
- Be familiar with the basic principles of photography and video technology.
- Be comfortable working with multiple pieces of technology simultaneously.
- Have reliable access to a computer (with a working webcam) with a strong internet connection. ?
- Have reliable access to independent transportation. (Bikes don't count. Sorry.)?
- Enjoy working with children.?
- Possess excellent group facilitation and group management skills. ?
- Be available to work anytime Monday -- Saturday, between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.?
- Have experience conducting outdoor or environmental education programs with Kindergarten through elementary school-aged children, and/or experience conducting similar programs with families and groups.
- Have knowledge and understanding of basic scientific principles, especially ecology and regional habitats. ?
- Be comfortable with active, physical work outdoors, and able to carry a 15-pound backpack for up to 2 hours.
- Have a professional manner with clientele (teachers and parents). ?
- Submit to and pass a background check. ?
- Provide references upon request.?
- Be flexible and comfortable with last-minute schedule changes. ?
Instructors will be responsible for:
- The delivery of a 60-90-minute educational program for Kindergarten through elementary school classes and families about ecology in Southern California.
- Maintaining equipment.
- Immediately notifying a supervisor regarding any maintenance or repairs required.
- Applicants should have a minimum of 2 years of teaching experience and/or experience leading groups at camps, outdoor schools or similar settings. ?
- Applicants should be in sound physical condition, capable of hiking local trails while carrying a backpack.
- Applicants should have formal or non-traditional environmental education experience with elementary and middle school-aged children. ?
- Applicants should have experience leading cooperative and team-building games and experiential education activities. ?
- Applicants should have an understanding of Earth Sciences at the elementary and middle school level. ?
- Applicants should also possess knowledge of regional environmental and socio-economic/eco-justice issues. ?
- Applicants should possess the ability to adhere to a written curriculum and maintain program continuity as well as the ability to accurately pace program activities and stick to a set schedule. ?
- Applicants with a bachelor’s degree (minimum) are preferred, but those with commensurate experience will be considered.
- Spanish language fluency is required ?
Familiarity with systems thinking is attractive.
Please click the apply online link below
COVID UPDATE FROM WORK THE WILDS
To help support you during the Covid-19 Pandemic, Work the Wilds is offering a free year upgraded to the Green Flash membership. This allows access to unlimited private messaging, job posting, unlimited classified posts, access to DM employers and jobseekers and more. We hope this helps everyone to stay connected. Enter code FREEYEAR at check out. GO WILD!
*please mention you found this job on Work the Wilds